How to maintain cache update on different memcached servers?

Bash Coder bashcoder+memcached at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 16:56:55 UTC 2006

When B goes down you have no failover memcache.  That's OK, because you
don't *need* it anyway - it's just a helper to take load off your database.
If B fails your app goes directly to the database for its data until the
cache server B is back up.  When the server comes back up, it starts to
build it's cache again from scratch.

This is not high availability stuff here -- there's no redundancy or
failover.  But that's OK, because it's just an optimization layer - it isn't
the database.  As to the hashing, I think it just takes a checksum of the
query and does a mod(memcache_server_count).  That way the same query is
cached on the same memcached every time.

- Bash

--
http://bashcoder.com