IDEA: Hierarchy of caches for high performance AND high capacity.

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Tue Oct 31 22:58:56 UTC 2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 14:00, Kevin Burton wrote:

> The third component in the is a distributed memcached daemon which
> uses Berkeley DB (or another type of persistent hashtable) for
> storage instead of the normal slab allocator.

Two quick comments:

Local cache:
In my experience the generic "local cache" really isn't very useful
in a "shared-nothing" architecture.

Disk based cache:

Hello MySQL.  :-)

In the framework we use we have an option for the caching system so
the application can say "use memcached for this", "use MySQL for
that".  Sure the memcached API is easier to use (asynchronously etc),
but for storage MySQL is pretty darn good.

  - ask

--
http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/