ketama - a consistent hashing algo for memcache clients

timeless time at digg.com
Tue Apr 10 22:42:33 UTC 2007

Steven Grimm wrote:
> That was actually the next major thing on our memcached to-do list.
> Thanks -- you may have saved us a bit of work there!

In case you are stuck on an older version of memcached, here's how we
worked around this problem. Our memcached config, assuming four servers,
looks like this:
A A A B B B C C C D D D

Now if A fails it, and we have no replacement, we spread the load to the
other servers, like this:
B C D B B B C C C D D D

Similarly, if we need to add another server, we just take some of the
load from others, like this:
E A A E B B E C C D D D

Suboptimal, I know, but there you have it.

--
timeless