memcached replication

Matt Ingenthron Matt.Ingenthron at Sun.COM
Wed Aug 29 05:31:28 UTC 2007

Marcus Bointon wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2007, at 00:37, Dustin Sallings wrote:
>
>> My goal is not replication, but to allow for a sort of L1 cache in an
>> application with memcached as an L2 and cache invalidation service.
>
> That's a really nice idea. I've seen something vaguely similar with
> jgroups, but it lacks the best bits of both memcache and in-process
> caches (I'm also using APC with PHP). I can see that being a very
> efficient system.

That's also what ehCache does (in process cache, with remote L2 cache)
for Java applications.

I've looked at it a bit and talked with Greg Luck about it (the night he
released his "benchmark" between ehCache and memcached).  The
"benchmark" shows an impressive chart but leaves out the details you
really need to understand what's going on-- looks like his blog filled
in the details.

Personally, I see room for both approaches.  From discussions with
others, there are times you just want an app to minimize local memory
usage.  Plus, in talking with Greg, he specifically plans in most cases
to have a cache that overflows OS page buffer, which tells you it's
typically deployed in a different way than memcached.  That doesn't
negate the fact that sometimes a well managed, in-process cache would be
an advantage.

- Matt

--
Matt Ingenthron - Web Infrastructure Solutions Architect
Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Global Systems Practice