Max Connections on Windows = Bug?

Jeremy Kronuz kronuz at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 16:13:34 UTC 2007

Stephen Bazemore wrote:
>Ok so here's what I've got. We run windows server 2003 machines with
>memcached 1.2.0. I've read alot on the mailing list and everyone say's the
>max connections to memcached is 1024 unless specified otherwise. How would
>it be possible to go above that limit? For month's all of our memcached
>instances have had on average around 3,500 connections on each.  I didn't
>think much about it because we weren't having any issues. Just recently
>we've optimized alot of code which is allowing more users to hit our site
>and the memcached connections are getting onward of 10,000 per instance.
>When that happens our network slows to a crawl and I have to shut the site
>off in order to let the connections die off.
>
>Is there a known bug in the windows version of memcached that would ignore
>the max connections limit?

Stephen, no, this isn't known. Are you using the -c argument to change the
maximum number of connections to 10,000 ? under Windows, that setting is
ignored and the limit is the number of connections the box can handle...
although the listen() backlog is hardcoded to 1024 (unix version too). I
guess we'll have to further investigate this issue; hopefully someone with
enough knowledge regarding sockets can explain the behavior you've exposed.
Try using version 1.2.1 to see if it changes anything.

Regards,
Kronuz.

"Fools rush in where fools have been before" - Unknown