memcached seems unable to return values on "get" but can "delete"

Gabe Schine gabe.schine at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 22:10:41 UTC 2007

hey there,

so we have a single memcached installation serving about five
servers. it has been working great, however:

certain types of data, usually blobs of about 6k in size, seem to get
"lost" or something. we store the value with 30 min timeout and a
flags value of "8", and subsequent gets just return "END", no value.
HOWEVER, what's odd is, I can contact the memcached server and tell
it to "delete" that key, and that succeeds, leading subsequent
deletes to return "NOT_FOUND", so i'm thinking memcached finds the
data only when i want to delete it.

other data, usually ~600 bytes, seems to work fine. there are two
differences between data A (doesn't work) and B (works):

1) the keys for A are formatted like this:

		Mind.1:-73828371281

	whereas for B they are something like:
		xxx:1234567890ABCD

and 2) data B has an infinite timeout (value of 0) instead of the
usual 30 mins

lastly, if i try to "set" a value using the perl memcached client, i
always get back "SERVER_ERROR: Out of memory" even though i KNOW the
server isn't out of memory, and our Java production install client
seems to be able to set keys just fine (barring the above anomaly).
i'm at the end of my rope here and am just scraping the floor for
ideas -- anything at all would be hugely appreciated!

thanks very much,

gabe