Best practice: profile before adding memcached?

Brian Moon brianm at dealnews.com
Mon Feb 5 18:08:16 UTC 2007

> I would suggest the best practice is to run the `explain` statements
> of your critical SQL before doing any codes' profiling.

Not to throw yet another idea on here, but the mysql slow query log
(assuming you are using mysql) or the equivelant in your dbms can be
most useful.  Sometimes explain and profiling does not show you where
bottlenecks are in a high volume production environment.  A query that
takes .5 seconds does not sound that bad until there are 100 of them on
a myisam table at one time.

--

Brian Moon