new .net client for memcached

a. a at enyim.com
Fri Jul 6 11:41:45 UTC 2007

we could argue which is more complete. my personal opinion is that
ported code usually doesn't take advantage of the target platform,
but mirrors an implementation which was tailored for the source
platform.

even if .net and java are similar, a code written for java can under/
over perform on .net.

additionally i did not feel comfortable with the architecture of the
ported code, mainly with the locking and server pool handling.

the description page on code plex is not finished yet (my bad), so
let me list the main features of my client

- it's configurable thru app/web.config, no more 10-20 line init
codes for the client
- written specially for .net, not ported, using the latest features
of the framework
- better (hopefully) locking providing better throughput
- uses consistent hashing for keys (based on ketama, found on the
list some months before)
- keys are hashed using FNV hash, much faster than md5 and have
better dispersion than the Object.GetHashCode()
- operations are factored into separate classes, so they are more
separated from the main client class, easier manageability and thread
safety
- more clients -> more options -> more competition -> better clients

a.