Installing Memcached 1.2.2

Matt Ingenthron Matt.Ingenthron at Sun.COM
Mon Jul 9 18:16:23 UTC 2007

Hi Matthew,

Matthew Maddox wrote:
> I am attempting to install memcached 1.2.2 on a Sun V240 running
> Solaris 10 11/06.   I am receiving an error message that indicates
> libevent is not installed.  However, I have already installed libevent
> 1.3b and I specified the location of the library files.

If I recall correctly (I'm not certain of this), when the build searches
for libevent, it's looking for the prefix that had been used for
libevent, not the lib/ directory specficically.  I believe if you set up
the LDFLAGS and have the prefix used with libevent, it'll work for you.

Having said that, in the Cool Stack project we've already
compiled/tested memcache and its dependencies, so you should just be
able to download and pkgadd.  It currently has libevent1.2a and
memcached 1.2.0 though.  Have a look at
http://cooltools.sunsource.net/coolstack/

If you'd still like to build the latest yourself, you may want to
reference the build scripts we used.  They can be found in either a
download of the source tarballs or in the source from the OpenSolaris
Web Stack project here:
http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/webstack/webstack/trunk/src/memcached-1.2.0/make_solaris.sh

You may also want to read the README.coolstack in there

Since you're on SPARC, if high-performance binaries are important to
you, you'll want to use either Sun Studio compilers or GCC4SS (also on
the cooltools.sunsource.net) site.

Now that I look at it though, it looks like we also had an
LD_LIBRARY_PATH in there.  I'm not sure why right now, but I know who to
ask if you need to know.  Regardless, it should be a good reference to
help you find what's missing in your build.

I hope that helps,

- Matt

--
Matt Ingenthron - Web Infrastructure Solutions Architect
Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Global Systems Practice