Cache miss stampedes

BUSTARRET, Jean-francois jfbustarret at wat.tv
Thu Jul 26 07:24:11 UTC 2007

________________________________

	De : memcached-bounces at lists.danga.com [mailto:memcached-bounces at lists.danga.com] De la part de Chris Hondl

	We handle this with a probabilistic timeout implemented in our application.  We store a timestamp and expiration time serialized as part of the value set to memcache.  The last minute or so before the key expires we randomly run the query and set the value to memcache with a new expiry.  The probability ramps up from 0% to 100% over the last minute or so.

I like this.

Why not include probalistic expirations in the server ?

Here is a proposal :
- add a startup flag (ie : -e 60), which activates probalistic expirations (if the flag is not set, the determinnistic logic is used)
- gets may return a cache miss using the same logic as described here

Jean-François