Cache miss stampedes

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Thu Jul 26 08:47:56 UTC 2007

I understand what you're saying, but I am still a little baffled,
because it leaves out one important point: If the client code can, in
the face of a cache miss, correctly repopulate the cache (resulting in
the stampede scenario that started this thread) then it must be the case
that there exists working, callable code to generate cache entries from
the underlying data store. If generating the cached values is a process
that requires manual intervention, then you're pretty much hosed no
matter what, because your clients will not be able to recover from a
cache miss, whether it's a "real" one or not.

So what I'm suggesting this background job do is run the exact same code
that would be run in production on a cache miss. In fact, that's exactly
the suggestion I wrote my message in response to: simulate a cache miss
to cause the cache repopulation client code to be run. The only
difference is that the suggestion was to make it a server-initiated
thing and force some number of clients to deal with a cache miss in the
course of processing a real request from a user, which means that user
gets to wait longer for a response. All I'm saying is that if you have
that code, there's no need to actually have any cache misses, and no
user requests need to be delayed. And if you don't have that code, the
options under discussion won't help you anyway.

Again, though, it is totally possible I'm missing the point altogether.

-Steve