restarting every night?

Ben Hartshorne memcache at green.hartshorne.net
Fri Jun 8 22:59:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:27:08AM -0700, andrew at flypublishing.com wrote:
> A friend of mine says he restarts his memcached servers every night
> because after a few days the data gets corrupted.
>
> Is this common practice?  Does anyone have experience running
> memcached for months on end with no data corruption?

[ben at mcd012 ~]$ uptime
 15:55:52 up 258 days, 22:51,  1 user,  load average: 0.03, 0.05, 0.01

We've got 6 memcached servers running 64bit 2.6.9-34 (CentOS kernel)
with 7GB assigned to one batch of 4 and 15GB assigned to the other 2
(seperate pools) running.  I don't think we've had to kick memcache more
than twice during the previous 258 days, both times as flush events
(rather than issuing the flush command we just kicked the daemon).

We have not recorded any corruption of data, and though it is possible
we're just not seeing it, I think that's unlikely.

-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne
email: ben at hartshorne.net