memcached_debug.c ?

Ben Hartshorne memcache at green.hartshorne.net
Mon Jun 18 20:46:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 11:09:27AM -0700, Randy Wigginton wrote:

> How would people feel about adding a "memcached_debug.c" file to the
> repository, that contains extensions that are not approved/
> sanctioned?  For example, this would be the perfect place to put a
> "keys" command, in order to find out what keys are currently in the
> instance, or perhaps a "free_mem" command that evicted everything
> expired and returned the amount of free memory?

I would love an extension set like that, but to be nitpicky, I wouldn't
call it memcache_debug.c, but something like memcache_extensions.c or
memcache_addons.c or memcache_unstable_addons.c etc.  Just looking at
the names of .c files, I would assume that memcache_debug.c would have
routines to assist debugging, such as extra logging or some such, rather
than experimental functional additions.  I would also separate enabling
debugging options from enabling the extra functions, so that people that
want to actually dubug the current stable version of memcache can do so
without getting (too much) extra code in there that might cause other
unrelated problems.

my $.02...

-ben

--