Largest production memcached install?

Just Marc marc at corky.net
Fri May 4 05:41:25 UTC 2007

Hi Steve,

A bit off topic. I can't help but wondering:

Your memcache nodes are nice and beefy boxes (32G RAM, 4 cores of
probably at leat 2GHz each -- that's generally a good amount of power
for a database), maybe they don't have any spindles at all, though, but,
if they did have a few, say up to 4, disks in each;

And you would split (federate) your database into 100 chunks (the
remaining 100 would be hot spares of the first 100 and could even be
used to serve reads), wouldn't that take care of all your database load
needs and pretty much eliminate the need for memcache? Wouldn't 50 such
boxes be enough in reality?

I do realize that 200 machines with no hard drives cost both less to buy
and maintain. But what about 50? (just throwing random numbers). In the
past you've also said that some of your memcache nodes do 30-60k
reqs/sec, which would be very high in db speak, but I assume that that's
the exception rather than the rule because 6 to 12 million memcache
reqs/sec in aggregate sounds a bit out of this world.

Thanks