Expiration Behavior

Gavin M. Roy gmr at myyearbook.com
Mon May 7 18:30:52 UTC 2007

Hello,

Am running memcached in production on a fairly large site and am noticing
that while I'm putting in expirations, the size of the utilization is
growing disproportionately with the expected growth of the cache based upon
what we implemented it for.  By some testing, it seems that items that are
expired from the cache are only removed when the get request is sent.  Is
our interpretation of this behavior correct, or does content in the cache
expire based upon the timestamp through some internal stack?  If it's the
later how often does the daemon run through to get rid of expired content?

TIA,

Gavin