Replace asp session with Memcached

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Tue May 8 17:32:32 UTC 2007

On 8 May 2007, at 17:56, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> 3. What to do when the session data silently disappears because
> memcached ran out of memory.
>
> Don't make a cache your master storage for session data.  Put it in a
> database and make a write-through cache for it in memcached.
> Otherwise, you may lose data.

Or use sharedance, which is essentially memcached on disk, and is not
subject to data loss on server restart and is limited by disk space,
rather than RAM, so you're unlikely to run out of space. It's not as
fast as memcached, but it's still much quicker than a regular DB.

I use sharedance for sessions, memcached for caching.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of info at hand CRM solutions