MemcacheFS

Peter van Dijk peter at nextgear.nl
Fri May 11 08:14:19 UTC 2007

On 9-mei-2007, at 20:21, Erik Osterman wrote:

> Python proof of concept code.
>
> http://blog.koshigoe.jp/archives/2007/04/fuse.html
>
> It doesn't appear to cache contents, only stat.
>
> Also, on a philisophical side note. I am floored by how often
> almost identical ideas are conceived of by different people at the
> same time. Look at the date on that blog entry!

You have no idea how much this is scaring me right now ;)

Over the last two weeks i spent a lot of time discussing a memcachefs
(fuse-based) with two fellow geeks - applications that came to mind
were (a) the smarty cache (b) php sessions; for both cases, losing
files (as a whole, not random parts inside) is ok and readdir is
irrelevant, which allows cutting a lot of corners.

We're also pondering using mysql as the write-through bit, instead of
an actual filesystem, which wouldmake the storage stable and allow
readdir. No code so far, though.

Cheers, Peter