Mongrel Instance Problems

catandmao-reg at yahoo.com catandmao-reg at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 10:20:31 UTC 2007

Hi Eric,

  here are my current stats:
  Rails: 1.2.3
  Memcached: 1.2.2
  memcached-client: 1.3.0
  mongrel_cluster: 0.2.1

As for configuration, I just added the following in the single environment.rb of the rails app
########################
require_gem 'memcache-client'
#...other codes...
#uncommented and changed....
config.action_controller.session_store = :mem_cache_store
#...other codes...
memcache_options = {
  :c_threshold => 10_000,
  :compression => true,
  :debug => false,
  :namespace => 'My_Rails_App',
  :readonly => false,
  :urlencode => false
}

CACHE = MemCache.new memcache_options
CACHE.servers = '127.0.0.1:11211'
ActionController::Base.session_options[:expires] = 1800
ActionController::Base.session_options[:cache] = CACHE
########################

Please point out anything wrong that I did. Thanx a million!

Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote: On May 12, 2007, at 08:39,
reg at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, what do you mean by 'which client'?
>
> Well, I have set Apache to virtual host a cluster of 4 mongrels,
> and the problem about session handling appears, when I try to uses
> memcached to hold the sessions.

Mongrel is not a memcache client, so you're using some other piece of
software to connect whatever mongrel is running to memcached.

> If I just use just 1 instance of mongrel, it works. Note that I
> have no problems using the default PStore, in both single mongrel
> instance and mongrel clusters.

AFAIK, PStore is ruby-specific, so you're running a ruby memcached
client.  What is its name and version?  How do you have it configured
on each mongrel?