Overhead cost of single vs. multiple memcached connections?

Patrick Galbraith patg at grazr.com
Thu May 24 14:52:39 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to memcached, and have been setting up our
applications to use memcached as a front end cache, using the perl api
for memcached. One of the questions that other developers in my
organisation had was whether instantiating to use multiple connections
to various memcached servers has much overhead vs. a single connection
to the memcached server running on localhost, and if the performance
gain of having a cache that spans several machines would be worth any
cost of multiple connections?

I have been a proponent of using memcached, and the idea is simple
enough that it speaks for itself, though I'm wondering if there are any
published statistics showing performance gain using memcached by various
people who have switched to using memcached?

One other question - is there a novel way to have it so you don't have
to have IPs of the various memcached servers hard-coded in the memcached
instantiation (perl) ? A configuration file, httpd.conf... etc?

Thanks in advance for any info!

--
Patrick Galbraith, Senior Programmer
Grazr - Easy feed grazing and sharing

Satyam Eva Jayate - Truth Alone Triumphs
Mundaka Upanishad