Memcached Compression Problem

Shaun McQuaker shaunm at travelpod.com
Thu Oct 11 15:40:14 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm having a particularly weird memcached problem. I am using memecached
1.2.1 across 5 servers and the Perl client API version 1.24. For the
sake of simplicity in describing my problem I'm going to break my
servers into two groups, the first called group A with 3 servers, and
the second group B with 2 servers. My problem goes something link this;
a server in group A adds a value into its own cache (so the server
parameter is localhost:9999) with a perl call like this:
$memd->set($key, $value, 60*60*24*30). Then a server from group B
attempts to read this value using $memd->get($key) from the server in
group A. The  problem is that output is completely garbled and looks
like it's compressed. The value should indeed be compressed as it is
larger than the compression threshold that I have set. So it looks to me
like the client on the server in group B could not uncompress the value.
One further note, the server in group A can read and display the value
correctly.

So now my questions:
1. is the value compressed by the memcached server or the client API?
2. what package (lib) is used for compression?
3. anyone know how to fix this? or where to start? :)

Thanks,
Shaun McQuaker