Evaluating Memcached for our site. Looking for advice.

john allspaw jallspaw at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 20 14:05:21 UTC 2007

I can chime in on this one easily:

>>4. What was the support overhead from a time and expertise standpoint
to maintain this?

memcached is probably the lowest-maintenance part of our infrastructure. I
have a lot of boxes like this:

storage4:  14:01:31 up 818 days, 18:57,  0 users,  load average: 0.73, 0.70, 0.65

whose memcached instances would have lasted 818 days, except for the time we
upgraded to get the newer eviction stats in the most recent version. :)

other than that, it's like dial tone for us at Flickr.
-john