python-memcached server selection code (long)

Brian Beuning BBeuning at corecard.com
Thu Oct 25 13:09:18 UTC 2007

I do not see "sequence of identical selections" being
a problem.  It is like saying you flip a coin 10 times
and getting 5 heads in a row means the coin is broken.

I did not get your numbers.  Why not do a test with N
random keys?  If about N/2 go to the 2 servers then it
is OK.  No matter how many happen "in a row".

If your app does 1000 key lookups while 1 of 2 hosts are
down, you would expect about 500 to fail (given the current
memcached availability model).  What does it matter if
500 in a row fail, or every other one fails?

With any hashing algorithm, it is always possible your
application uses keys that cause the hash to be unfair.

Brian Beuning

Quote of the day
Knuth Volume 2, page 5, "The moral of this story is that random numbers
should not be generated with a method chosen at random.  Some theory
should be used."