CAS operation

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Sat Sep 8 08:28:43 UTC 2007

On Sep 8, 2007, at 1:16, Chris Goffinet wrote:

> Does "gets" only assign when called at that point the 64 bit unique
> value, or are you setting every object that is cache a unique
> identifier?

	I guess there's no real need to define that.  I went with 64-bits
because I figured we could just the memory address as the
identifier.  That seemed like a pretty safe bet.

	Objects could theoretically be moved by a smart allocator, but the
value only has value between a gets and a cas.  The worst thing that
could happen there is a CAS fails spuriously.

> Is your prototype in python or patched diff against trunk?

	I prototyped it in my python binary server.  It's pretty good for
trying out this kind of thing.

	I could do the same thing in the main server pretty quickly against
my binary server patches, but a text protocol version might be a bit
tougher (not as familiar with that code).

--
Dustin Sallings