Off Topic Apache Farm Question

marc at corky.net marc at corky.net
Sat Sep 22 08:46:57 UTC 2007

I do the same.  But instead of rsyncing every certain interval I have
the inotifywait utility watching the sync dirs for changes.  Once a
change is detected (pretty much immediate) inotifywait exits and the
script enters the rsync loop which syncs the dirs to all the nodes, when
rsync is done the script is again blocked by inotify until a change is
detected.

#!/bin/sh

while true; do
   inotifywait  -r /var/www/web1 -r /var/www/web2 -e modify -e attrib -e
close_write -e move -e create -e delete -qq

   # Optionally add a small sleep here to let the change be completed or
tweak the notifywait like to be less trigger happy
   sleep 5....

   do_rsync
done

You'd have to have Linux for that.  On some other systems you can use
stuff like FAM.

Marc