Regarding Memcached Server configuration?

BUSTARRET, Jean-francois jfbustarret at wat.tv
Thu Sep 27 06:41:57 UTC 2007

I can think of two cases where multiple instances of memcached on the same server are useful :
1/ to be able to use multiple processors without using the threaded version of memcached (but IMHO, using a single/multi-threaded version should be better)
2/ to be able to store datatypes with incompatible lifetime/storage policies or with specific flushing policies. ie :
- isolating a session cache from a data cache : you might not want new sessions to kick off important (complex to generate but accessed not very often) data, or having too many slabs for sessions when they could be of better use for data (if your data is not of the same size than your sessions)
- being able to flush all of datatype A without touching datatype B (you can't flush half of your cache, but you can flushall instance A without touching instance B).

Otherwise, IMHO, having a single instance with a lot of memory makes more sense (or better, two instances on two different servers, each with a lot of memory)

Jean-François