Standardize serialization on JSON?

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Mon Apr 14 04:14:40 UTC 2008

On Apr 13, 2008, at 19:53, Lisa Seelye wrote:
>> What's the performance of JSON serialization in $your_language?
>
> Benchmarks for the JSON Ruby gem can be found at
> http://json.rubyforge.org/svn/tags/v1_1_2/benchmarks/benchmark.txt. I

Woah.  I hope I'm misunderstanding the data or it's crazy slow.  It
looks like the data is for just a hundred bytes of data?  JSON::XS can
encode or decode hundreds of thousands of short JSON strings a second.

	http://search.cpan.org/dist/JSON-XS/XS.pm#SPEED

>> I apologize if it's been discussed before, but how about
>> standardizing
>> on using JSON for serialization?   In Perl it's Really Fast (with
>> JSON::XS)
>> and I imagine that it gzip's well, too.
>>
>> It would make using complex data structures between languages as
>> trivial as it can be...
>
> I don't think it's memcached's place to care about what is stored in
> it.
> Unless I've missed something; I haven't read the list in a while.

Of course memcached itself shouldn't care; but client authors could
standardize on how to store data so it'll be easier to say cache
something in Perl and read it from Ruby.

  - ask