About memcached errno=11

Robert Brewer fumanchu at aminus.org
Mon Apr 28 16:05:36 UTC 2008

Jimmy Chu wrote:
> Notice: MemcachePool::set(): send of 32768 bytes failed
> with errno=11 Resource temporarily unavailable in
> /usr/www/library/Zend/Cache/Backend/Memcached.php
> on line 176
>
> I wonder what is causing this to happen?

Looks like an issue in the PHP client. "Resource temporarily unavailable" is the EAGAIN error, which is common when stressing nonblocking sockets. It happens when the app tries to put more bytes in the send buffer than it has free space; the app should usually just retry the operation. I DON'T mean your code, Jimmy, should retry--the PHP memcache extension (or the PHP streams lib or something) needs to retry.

Robert Brewer
fumanchu at aminus.org