IPv6 Patch

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Fri Feb 1 09:52:10 UTC 2008

Thanks for the clarifications :)

> As a bonus, when the user would give a host name to -l, it will
> resolve to one or several addresses, and memcached will bind to them
> all.  This is natural, several addresses were connected to one host
> name in DNS exactly with the purpose that they all will be used for
> this name.

Still following to this point. That's what I figured.

>> IE; if someone wants to bind to a private-network in IPv4 land, they
>> presently use -l, but if you're binding by hostname in IPv6, it
>> makes sense (to me) to continue to allow someone to select a private
>> address.
>
> There's no way for memcached to automatically distinct between private
> and public address.  You may relay on the address class, but the truth
> is the whole public/private stuff for IPv4 is controlled by your NAT
> configuration.

Right, but my point is the relatively unknown behavior of 'bind by
hostname' by the user. They might think 'bind by local hostname' and
it'll _always_ bind all addresses. I'm seeing room for both, especially
given the portability (fears? issues?).

> The user will still have a full control if he gives IP address (v4 or
> v6) to -l.  It would make sense to allow several -l for flexibility
> then.  Right now I would have to create a DNS record for a set of
> addresses I want to use, and then use -l set_name to bind to them all
> (that is, if we process all results of getaddrinfo()).

Didn't someone send a patch to allow multiple -l's a while ago? :) Whoops.

> Let me stress this again: first returned address is in no way special.
> Or rather, it is special as it "has the best chances to succeed", but
> this is more relevant to the client side.  Actually the return order
> may be configured for a site, and the first returned may be any of
> loopback, site-local, or globally scoped address.  More to that, since
> getaddrinfo() can't know how you would use the address, for AI_PASSIVE
> the address with "the best chances to succeed" is likely a global
> externally visible address ;) (if you use host name, that is,
> otherwise it will be INADDR_ANY or IN6ADDR_ANY_INIT).  More to that,
> there's the line in Drepper's:

Actually, it appears to be special for completely undefined reasons,
which bugs me for reasons only the esteemed Drepper understands. I get
"has the best chances to succeed" but given the constraints you're
establishing you have to iterate over _all_ of them _anyway_, so what's
the purpose in ordering it? Confusing.

Also, unfortunately, partially broken under different OS's?

> Even if the system can accept IPv4 connection on IPv6 socket, as Linux
> does, you have to bind IPv6 socket to an IPv4-mapped address
> (otherwise you won't be able to connect with IPv4 address).  As you
> guess, there's no guarantee that the first returned address is such.

Nor any of them, I guess.

> BTW, that "bug" of OS X 10.5 that was mentioned earlier may not be a
> bug at all: if you iterate over all returned addresses, skipping those
> you can't bind to, you'll eventually succeed (at least because there's
> an IPv4 address down the list).  So disabling IPv6 for UDP is an
> incorrect workaround.  This would also solve the problem with "older
> glibc returns garbage".

That goes along with my above point of the whole order thing being
silly. I think disabling UDP isn't necessary tho; brian and I were
discussing it a little earlier.

> Brian, if you have any pointers to papers describing the technique you
> propose (use only the first address), sharing them would be very
> appreciated.  However, if that's your own invention, then I suggest
> for memcached to stay with the mainstream and be as much secure as the
> rest of the world, at least until this technique will be widely
> recognized and adopted.  Forever I guess... ;)

So actually, the most compelling argument is that memcached's code has
exactly two listener sockets, and no method for natively chaining them? :)

In fact, looking at it shows me it's broken it more subtle ways already.

Presently:

If you set a unix domain socket, tcp and udp are disabled.
tcp is always enabled (unless a unix domain socket is specified)
udp is optional

... and you can only bind one address to each.

So what I propose, right now, in order:

- Whatever minor cleanups are left to make the ipv6 bit work, including
tests that we can throw out.
- Merge it as-is, since you can't multibind without more work anyway.
- Add an option to allow disabling of tcp
- See if we can change the unix domain socket bit to not exclude tcp and
udp (I can see _someone_ wanting to use all three. This whole
discussion's about not restricting it). I'm loathe to change a "default"
tho, so maybe folks have good ideas.
- By "default" the ipv6 code will bind to the first address it finds.
- New option to allow multibinding, for ipv4, ipv6, list of IPs, list of
unix domain sockets, whatever.

Yes? No? I shut up now? :)

-Dormando