Upcoming memcached releases + rambling.

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Sat Feb 9 04:13:29 UTC 2008

Tim Bunce wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:56:58AM -0800, dormando wrote:
>> - Cache::Memcached updates. Uh, whoops. This doesn't support any of the
>> recent features.
>
> FYI, Memached::libmemcached provides a (nearly) complete interface to
> libmemcached that's very thin and efficient.

[snip]

> If libmemcached could be ported to Windows there'd be little need for
> the old/slow Cache::Memcached interface.
>
> Tim.

The stickler in me wants to say "No! We must find someone to update the
pure perl client!" - but also I can't think of many compelling reasons.

Whackjob portability? Easier modifications? Questions like the unicode
thread that I'm dutifully ignoring?

I know a lot of folks in the PHP arena who've fallen back to pure-php
clients because of quirky issues with the C libs. This is quite common
actually.

It probably doesn't need binary protocol support, but everything else is
useful. I hope someone has a better argument over keeping it up to date
than I have.

-Dormando