How best to deal with lots of small objects - currently failing?

Brian Moon brianm at dealnews.com
Wed Feb 20 21:46:16 UTC 2008

> I’m presuming that each memcached daemon only has a limited number of
> ‘slots’ for each size of data?? Is that correct?

Yes, sort of.  You will want to start by reading this and exploring the
-f option for memcached

http://www.socialtext.net/memcached/index.cgi?faq#how_does_memcached_s_memory_allocation_work_why_not_use_malloc_free_why_the_hell_does_it_use_slabs

> I also need to store a range of other data, so would it be best to setup
> a memcached daemon that’s somehow (?) tuned for this size of string and
> push all request through to that, leaving another daemon for general use?

If you know you will have a high need for that data, that sounds like a
good option.

--

Brian Moon
Senior Developer/Engineer