Alternative Binary Protocol idea for memcached.

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Tue Feb 26 06:40:47 UTC 2008

On Feb 25, 2008, at 21:56, Clint Webb wrote:

> Its gonna make for a messy patch set though.  Not sure how to handle
> putting all this back into the binary branch.   I might see if I can
> separate all my changes into different groups of patch-files to make
> these changes a bit at a time.

	Yes, less is good.

> I haven't yet completed the work though.  Given that I can only
> spare a little time here and there to work on it, I'd say it will be
> a few days before I have anything I can send back for others to try
> out.

	It seems that the general way to do this is to git-svn clone the tree
and build a local branch of binary and commit your patches there.  If
you can do that and share the tree, that'd be a great start.

	Of course, I don't think we're in the market for a new protocol, but
it sounds like you're doing some further decoupling than I've done and
will likely get the codebase cleaner.

> I am also adding a simple benchmarking tool to make sure that I
> haven't made things worse.

	Excellent.  This is much needed.

--
Dustin Sallings