Protocol questions

Roy Lyseng Roy.Lyseng at Sun.COM
Thu Feb 28 13:36:41 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a question around the protocol support in memcached:

Is there any (good) reason for registering one port per protocol in
memcached? We have the text protocol, the binary protocol, and yet other
protocols are in the coming. Would it be better to listen on a single
port per IP protocol (TCP or UDP) and dispatch subprotocol requests
internally? We could e.g. let the first byte in a packet determine the
subprotocol (text protocol reserves all lower-case ASCII letters...) and
then dispatch the socket to the proper subprotocol handler.

I am afraid of the myriad of options that will be needed to configure a
memcached server. It would be great if we only need one option per IP
protocol. Besides, it will make it easier for us if we decide to
register official IANA ports for memcached.

Roy