IPv6 Patch

Brian Aker brian at tangent.org
Thu Jan 31 20:59:38 UTC 2008

Hi!

On Jan 30, 2008, at 12:03 PM, Tomash Brechko wrote:

> The DNS fear is stretched too far.  You are basically saying that one
> should never ever bind to site-local address because there's a
> possibility that it is visible form the outside, and is not protected

Because bad setups never occur with DNS? A sysadmin never binds a
public address to an internal and external device, not realizing that
is some program comes along it will be exposed to the outside world?

Memcached has no password protection, so doesn't it make sense to have
an ounce more protection? (and it is not like memcached is designed to
be a mutli-listener... and getaddrinfo() returns even junk like
AF_UNIX on older glibc).

I can patch it to bail on multi available, but that will cause older
glibc() to toss any binding (and the FreeBSD 4.x guys will be
submitting a patch later to just ignore all all entries past the first
when they hit this problem).

Cheers,
	-Brian

Brian "Krow" Aker, brian at tangent.org