udp question

Roy Lyseng Roy.Lyseng at Sun.COM
Mon Jun 2 12:17:20 UTC 2008

Brian Aker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> UDP and TCP are always enabled now. You don't have to do one or the
> other (and they both run on the same port, so you don't have to do some
> discovery from the client side).

For maximum security, they should probably both be disabled by default.

You should also consider a release taxonomy where these kinds of changes
are not allowed unless there is a major (or minor) release number
upgrade, and followed by a proper release note.

For most memcached environments, this is probably not an issue, but
there may be some combinations of firewall policies and port number
changes that accidentally cause a security issue.

Thanks,
Roy