Announce: New feature-complete version of the BeIT Memcached Client released.

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Thu Jun 5 20:26:40 UTC 2008

On Jun 1, 2008, at 9:12, Henrik Schröder wrote:

> (Oh okay, it doesn't support the UDP protocol, but... who does?)

	Well, Brian supports it.  I haven't had a need for it myself yet,
though.

> Sounds reasonable, it's pretty evident that CAS is an afterthought
> with the separate gets and cas commands.

	New commands were mainly to keep existing clients happy.

> I actually wondered about the reason for the binary protocol, I
> would guess that the difference in parsing variable-length text
> strings and fixed-length byte arrays is totally negligible compared
> to network latency, but I guess it makes it easier to add things
> like CAS to everything. :-)

	The binary protocol is a lot easier to work with both in servers and
clients, and certainly less work to ``parse.''  The cas-on-everything
wasn't added until the fourth revision, though.

> Yes, it's pretty sad actually that it hasn't caught on very well in
> the Windows world. Sadly, I'm not a (good) C programmer, so I can't
> help. At my company we're pretty concerned about the bad performance
> of the Windows port of the memcached server, it affects our website
> Nonoba, so we might end up investing some resource sin getting it to
> work better, but I really can't promise anything. It's definitely in
> our interest to have a good working version of the server for
> Windows though, so we'll see. I suspect that the problems are
> related to the Windows port of libevent, and that might be pretty
> tricky to track down, and not something I would want to do with my
> meager C skills. :-)

	There are lots of ways to help.  Simply ensuring it builds is a good
start.  I wouldn't even know how to go about compiling a C program in
Windows if I had a place to do it.  :)

--
Dustin Sallings