item expiration

Grant Maxwell grant.maxwell at maxan.com.au
Thu Jun 12 04:59:07 UTC 2008

Dustin: 	Is there not a step like, ``if it's not cached, we need to
look it up?''  If not, then it seems like you want something more
along the lines of dynamo/chubby/zookeeper for these items.

Dustin In this particular case to do that would completely negate the
benefit of the cache because better than 99% would fail in the cache
lookup AND the database lookup. In effect we would be using the cache
as a virtual table and only refer to the database on startup. There is
method in our "madness" uhahaha. The number of "rogue" actions
requested that would be blocked may only represent 10% of our total
action requests, but would reduce server load significantly.

I take the point of some folk who have suggested running a 2nd
instance of memcached and I am thinking about that. The single
downside is calculation of the memory requirement and getting it right
so that we don't lose entries and don't waste memory.

I've not heard of dynamo etc and will look into them.

regards
Grant