Protocol questions

Roy Lyseng Roy.Lyseng at Sun.COM
Sat Mar 1 22:40:21 UTC 2008

Aaron Stone wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 10:51 -0800, Dustin Sallings wrote:
>> On Mar 1, 2008, at 10:23, Brian Aker wrote:
>>> Tell me:
>>> 1) Is UDP on.
>> 	Try to send a message to it?
>
> Is TCP on?  Might we assume that some people actually want UDP-only?

For security reasons, it may be a good idea to have no external ports
enabled by default.

I also think that the client and server should not have to negotiate
port numbers. If you know the IP address, I expect that you also know
the port number. Otherwise there might be a separate server you may
query for IP address/port numbers (and add in a second one for HA...).

Roy