memcached timeouts

Nathan Schmidt nschmidt at gmail.com
Mon May 5 19:47:44 UTC 2008

Evert,

To reinforce Miguel's point, something we ran into was having two
subnets (separate /27 ip blocks) on the same switch. If you don't
hardcode combined routing for both subnets you'll end up routing some
app-to-memcached traffic upstream to your router and back, which can
cause occasional failures and timeouts depending on the quality of the
upstream connectivity. This was particularly a factor for us because
we have Gig-E on our backplane but our upstream traffic is over a
100mbps PHY.

-n

--
New office! 1825 South Grant Street, Suite 850 San Mateo 94402
New home! 21677 Rainbow Drive Cupertino 95014