memcache on multiple servers

Dirk-Willem van Gulik dirkx at webweaving.org
Wed May 7 10:28:31 UTC 2008

On May 6, 2008, at 8:44 PM, Just Marc wrote:
> You're trying to connect to 192.168.100.180 while your memcached
> only listens on localhost... no wonder it fails. Either always
> connect to 127.0.0.1 or change the IP on which memcached listens.

You propably want to be careful with that - as then adding non-local
host's -- and then later using that as a template elsewhere gets you
inconsistent hashing. I.e. best perhaps to use absolutely IPs from the
same CIDR across the board.

Given how many times this has bitten me - you'd almost wonder if it
makes sense to allow the config to drive the hashing by some UUID
which is configured or persistently (re-)gurgitated by memcached on
startup.

Dw