Best Java client ?

Roy Lyseng Roy.Lyseng at Sun.COM
Fri May 9 12:12:48 UTC 2008

Henrik Schröder wrote:
> Hi Dustin,
>
> Out of pure curiosity, have you benchmarked the difference between your
> single-connection client and a comparable multi-connection one with a
> connection pool?
>
> And have I understood it correctly that the reason your version is as
> fast as or faster than a multi-connection one because memcached in
> itself is single-threaded and will process requests in a serialized
> fashion anyway?

Not answering on Dustin's behalf, but...

Well, the memcached server itself has just turned multi-threaded...

However, the memcached single-threaded server is indeed very fast, and
mostly because there is no context-switching or waiting within the
server loop. It will simply receive a request, process it and send back
a response.

This works very well as long as the server CPU is very fast. However, if
the CPU cannot cope with the load, both throughput and latency will
suffer. So in order to service e.g. a 10GbE network, multiple CPU
threads and parallel processing may be required to keep up with the
speed of the network. But the challenge is not only with the memcached
user threads. The networking stack must also be sufficiently
parallelized, and/or being able to batch requests within the kernel layer.