Questions

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Sat Apr 30 13:40:34 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> MogileFS looks quite interesting.  I have some questions.
>
> - How do you pronounce "mogile"?

Moe-Gyle.

> - The CVS server is refusing logins.  Is this the right place to connect?
>
> Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at danga.com:2401/home/cvspub
> CVS password:
> cvs [login aborted]: connect to danga.com(66.150.15.140):2401 failed:
> Connection refused

It's down because I haven't upgraded it after the latest cvs security
hole, so I'm playing it safe.

> - Was MogileFS involved in the big LiveJournal crash [1]?  Are you
> reconsidering MySQL now?

No, and no.  MogileFS and MySQL were great.  The only problem was our RAID
cards lying SCSI disks that had write-caching forced on, and required
special tools to make them actually hit disk.  There's no reason a disk
should have its own write-back cache.... that's the dumbest thing ever,
especially behind a RAID card w/ a huge battery-backed write-back cache.

> - Is development active?

Yes.  But slower lately because it does pretty much everything we need.
If you have different needs, let us know.

- Brad