How to migrate huge amount files into a MogileFS

Jay Buffington jaybuffington at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 20:50:11 UTC 2006

I have 130 terabytes of images and videos that we're moving from an
NFS system into Mogile.  Our strategy is to support both systems.
There is a column in that database that tells us if the thingy we're
looking for is in Mogile or NFS.

This allows us to slowly move files at our leisure.  First we'll start
putting all new files into Mogile, then gradually migrate the old
files piece by piece.   We'll probably support the old system for 9
months or more.

My migration script will do a PUT for every file when it is migrated,
but it will only migrate a portion of my files at one time.  I
disagree with you that using MogileFS client to do a PUT for every
file would be time consuming and stupid.  It doesn't cost as much as
you think.

Jay