mogadm host delete not so good?

Brett G. Durrett brett at imvu.com
Thu Dec 21 23:02:19 UTC 2006

Using 2_02

We have some old mogile storage nodes that I wanted to take out of the
cluster and out of the mogile to reduce clutter in the output of
mogadm.  About two weeks ago I marked all devices on the host as 'dead'
and based on the database activity, it looks like their files got
replicated elsewhere.  The machine has been idle for pretty much a week
so I decided it would be okay to purge it from mogile.

I did this:

# mogadm host delete OLDHOST

And pretty quickly nothing worked.  Looking at the daemon log, it
appears the tracker does not like having a host go MIA so it dies.

Dec 21 14:40:41 AF001079 mogilefsd[5728]: crash log: No host for dev 6
(host 4) at /usr/bin/mogilefsd line 329.
Dec 21 14:40:41 AF001079 mogilefsd[5728]: ending run
Dec 21 14:40:43 AF001079 mogilefsd[9415]: Child 5728 (monitor) died: 0
(UNEXPECTED)

I recovered by going into the database and manually re-adding the row
for the host (setting its status to 'dead').  This appears to have
addressed the big failure.

My question: is there any way to remove a device from mogile and if so,
what is the correct procedure?

Thanks,

B-