database-independence: it has begun.

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Fri Dec 29 02:07:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Travis Boucher wrote:

> Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > Mogilers,
> >
> > After I removed all the old APIs and made the mogilefsd file small and
> > beautiful, I moved onto the oft-requested database independence
> > project.
> >

> Any future plans of abstracting all of the SQL away into a separate
> 'Database'  package, allowing implementations of custom database
> backends (eg. non-sql)?  This could allow integration into existing
> database infrastructures and other methods of database scaling.

Yes.  Notice I called it "Store" and not "Database".  :)

I actually intend to use this myself to do partitioned storage next,
spreading the file and file_on tables out over lots of databases.

But yes, currently the constructor for the MogileFS::Store is very
DBI-specific, but there's no reason for that.

Also, I'm not ever going to make the Store class return DBI $sth objects,
as that's too DBI specific... instead they'll return iterators so you
can do a non-DBI store easily.

We could even rename things in the future to be MogileFS::Store,
MogileFS::Store::DBI, MogileFS::Store::DBI::MySQL, etc...

But for now I just want to remove all the 50 (er, 48 now) users of
get_dbh() and make them go through the store interface, then we can deal
with pretty namings.

- Brad