Some questions about a new install

Jay Buffington jaybuffington at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 17:01:48 UTC 2006

On 10/3/06, Clint Goudie-Nice <cgoudie at twelvehorses.com> wrote:
> Greetings, I hope I've not stumbled into the wrong mailing list here. If
> so, point me in the right direction.

This is the right place.

> I noticed in the readme for Linux::AIO 1.9, that it says it's been
> superseded by IO::AIO and has api compatibility, so after a successful
> install of IO::AIO, I tweaked up the mogilefs package to use it instead
> of Linux::AIO. Am I on the right track here, or am I going to cause
> bigger problems?

It's actually Perlbal that uses AIO, and mogstored is just Perlbal
wearing a Member's Only jacket.  I thought the old 1.0 version
supported IO::AIO out of the box, but I guess it doesn't.  Your best
bet is to use IO::AIO rather than a Linux::AIO that doesn't pass
tests.

> Perhaps to circumvent that question, I'm not planning to use the NFS
> mount at all. Is Linux::AIO used only for the NFS stuff, or it is more
> widely used in the MogileFS package?

NFS support has been removed from the SVN version.  Like I said, AIO
is really a perlbal thing.  BTW, you can replace perlbal with a WebDAV
server like lighttpd if you want, but that might not be supported in
the version you're using.

> This is on an FC5 box with Perl 5.8.8, although an attempt on CentOS 4.4
> with Perl 5.8.5 resulted in the same errors on Linux::AIO.

I had problems with Linux::AIO under an old version of RedHat.  I
think that was because of a buggy thread implementation.   People seem
to be having much more success with IO::AIO and now days there
shouldn't be any reason to use Linux::AIO.

Jay