Distributing MogileFS' Database

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Sat Sep 23 07:19:00 UTC 2006

Hey all,

My girlfriend ditched me on a friday night, so naturally I'm bored and
thinking about MogileFS. (It's more interesting than fixing my six year
old perl scripts).

There was very brief talk at the summit about how to make MogileFS's
database store more distributed. I was curious if the ML could flesh out
some ideas a bit more? The reason I'd bring it up now is during all the
minor hacking/documentation, we can spot areas that need adjustment and
start working towards the eventual goal.

I know Brad has/had some ideas of how it should work ("As easy as
possible" for starters), plus there are issues of redundancy in the dataset.

Obviously there are some easy parts and some hard parts, but I'm an
idiot so it's all probably easy. Distributing the device table, class
table, domain table, are probably hard. Distributing anything related to
files relative to a domain is easy. A domain could automatically be
distributed among more databases by adding "subdomains" that point to
different databases, and a set of rules to resolve which subdomain a
file is in. The most basic possible; you can put whole domains on
different databases.

Data redundancy? I would vote for the database admin to figure out their
own redundancy. All of the Oracle shops I've dealt with have
"Redundancy" through massive fiber SAN's, backups through tapes and SAN
snapshots, and maybe a hotspare database server somewhere. Having data
duplicated in mutiple databases becomes very expensive for places with
non-Free DB software, and is often not done at all.

Folks who run MySQL or Postgres and worry about redundancy just buy a
second server and DRBD or Replication slave it up.

Of course there're also wacky ideas... SQLite DBs distributed among all
of the mogstored nodes with one per so many files? How does key
discovery work if you want your database to be completely distributed?
Anything else?

-Dormando