killing NFS mode? objections?

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Fri Sep 29 18:22:27 UTC 2006

Would anybody care if I removed the all-storage-nodes-locally-mounted-everywhere
code from Mogile?  (both server and clients)

This is more commonly known as "NFS mode".

Rather than assigning HTTP urls to callers, absolute paths are given, so
people have to all have the mogile storage nodes mounted at the same
place.

And Linux NFS doesn't even let this work, due to not being able to use
noshadow mounts w/ export netmask wildcards.

It was just a royal pain in the ass, which is why we moved to HTTP.

In the meantime, I think NFS support might've rotted, but I hear maybe it
still works?

In any case, it'd clean up the code to remove it, and remove support
costs.  ("you did what?  no, no, don't use /that/ ...")

If it's still desired from the client-side, I can see a client-side
transform/check being done... given a URL, see if has a local NFS mount,
and use that instead.  But that's unrelated to removing it from the
server.  The server would then only replicate using HTTP, which is a lot
better anyway, since we can tell which side failed, since we're involved
in the copy, whereas NFS mounts just kinda hang and are useless.

- Brad