Specific machine as backup server.

Robin H. Johnson robbat2 at gentoo.org
Wed Aug 1 03:34:58 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 02:42:40AM +0200, Krzysztof Kotkowicz wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm using mogileFS on three servers, but i was thinking about one thing.
> Is there possibility, to use 4th server for backup machine - it's
> machine in different hosting company, and we want it to store one copy
> of every file. Is it possibility to setup mogile to store every file
> on this machine, or we need to made other domain, and use PHP for it?
Look at the earlier discussions about a write-only device state, and
combine with the discussions about a custom replication policy that
always includes a specific node as long as it's available.

I'm looking at backup stuff for my production Mogile deployment lately.
It's probably going to be along the lines of
foreach(block of 1000 fids) {
	tar cvf fidN0..fidN999, store as $domain/$class/$dkey
}
with more frequent additions at the end than redoing old passes, since
already existing files are never modified, but may be replaced by a file
of the same number, but a higher fid.

Keep in mind, the above structure is heavily tailored for my own backup
process that then sends stuff to tape, for disaster-scale recovery.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Council Member
E-Mail     : robbat2 at gentoo.org