over-replicated files / fsck behavior

Brandon Ooi brandon at hotornot.com
Tue Aug 28 21:17:33 UTC 2007

Hi,

Again, love mogile, it's the cheap and robust alternative to pricey
storage engines (EMC). I recently bumped my mindevcount from 2 to 3 and
things seemed to go haywire. This may be related to another post about
overreplicated files.

I have two tracker machines each with replicate_jobs 5. Things seemed to
be okay at a mindevcount of 2, but once at 3 lots of files (maybe 25k)
get replicated more than 3 times (up to 10 times!). I've restarted my
trackers with only 1 replicate_job total, sacrificing the redundancy.
This seemed to bring it under control.

My question is, what is the correct setup to prevent this from happening
and keep the system redundant.

Also, what is the behavior of fsck? Documentation is a bit lacking in
this area and I would love to help fill in those blanks but I don't
really know. Does it fix this kind of damage? Will it bump the number of
replicas of old files from 2 to 3?