Client overhead

stoph spam stoph.spam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 22:28:53 UTC 2007

Hi
Not having used mogilefs yet, and not knowing the overhead on the clients, i
am trying to decide between two designs.

option 1 would be using the web servers as storage clients.  Starting off
with 2 web servers with 2x250g drives each, and adding more as needed,
adding to my overall storage pool with each addition.

option 2 would be using a server with 4x250g drives as my dB server and main
storage server.  eventually migrating the db to its own server when needed.

Would the overhead of running the mogilefs client on the same box as the web
server or db affect overall performance?  is there a big advantage of having
mutiple phyical storage clients rather than one or two hosts with lots of
disks?

Cheers,
christoph